A bit about Phlo
Welcome to Phlo - the digital pharmacy of the future. Phlo is the new generation of online pharmacies delivering NHS and private prescriptions when and where a patient needs them. We empower patients to better manage their healthcare by allowing them to easily order and track their prescriptions in real-time. Life can be difficult as it is, accessing your medication shouldn’t be.
What makes Phlo different? In London we offer a 4-hour same day delivery time slot and we’re getting ready to expand our same-day delivery service throughout the rest of England. We also offer next day delivery service throughout the UK.
We’re growing fast. Our repeat monthly revenue figures are strong, we closed a successful crowdfunding campaign, and the team has more than doubled in size. It’s time to bring pharmacy into the 21st century and we’d love you to be part of our journey.
What we are looking for:
As Head of Design, you will be responsible for the end-to-end UI/UX design for all digital products at Phlo, including both internal and patient-facing applications. As an advocate for user-centred design, you will be happy to work at both macro and micro levels. You will be responsible for setting the overall design vision for Phlo with the senior management team, creating Phlo’s Design system and developing our brand guidelines for both product and marketing design work.
As Head of Design, a key part of the role will be the professional development and mentoring of our UI/UX and graphic designers. You will be responsible for implementing the appropriate structures and processes to ensure that Pho’s design team is aligned with the wider business goals and strategies.
As part of this role, you will have to work across the business to ensure that design is at the centre of our product roadmap and will liaise directly with the relevant team leads and senior management to achieve these aims.
Overview of Role
- Define product visual, UX and branding guidelines
- Define and implement a company-wide design system
- Interview, hire and train team members
- Research and test new technologies
- Oversee final layouts
- Oversee UI/UX design strategy
- Liaise with senior management team communicating overall design strategy across Phlo
- Developing and mentoring existing Phlo design team members to expand their skillsets creating an environment for our designers to achieve their career goals.
- Lead design projects throughout the entire design cycle, from the UX/UI design to the development phase in Phlo’s product workstreams
- Lead our UX research team to gather user needs/feedback through research methods such as observations, interviews, and usability testing, and translate these findings into design solutions and refinements
- Set design processes
- Supervise, mentor and motivate the UX/UI team to refine and build design system, share user research, and identify design solutions
- Partner with engineers and product owners to provide value through designing the interactions, interface, and functionality of our products as part of our agile product development process
- Educate the team and stakeholders across the business about the importance of design thinking and the importance of user research
- Keep up-to-date on design trends and make design processes and UX/UI improvements
- Maintain and develop Phlo’s brand guidelines to ensure consistency of the Phlo brand across our products and marketing activities
- 8+ years of experience on UX/UI or product design and developing flows and wireframes,
- 3+ years of management experience in design-oriented start-ups
- Solving complex experiences and making them intuitive to the user
- Solid knowledge of best practices in design
- Strong knowledge of usability principles and techniques
- Strong knowledge of developing and maintaining Design Systems
- Strong understanding of iOS and Android design principles
- Proficiency in design tools such as Sketch, Figma, Invision or Photoshop, and Illustrator.
- Ability to lead a team and gain stakeholder confidence
- Experience working in an Agile/Scrum development environment
- Experience of working in cross-functional teams liaising directly with product owners and software engineers
- Experience in developing and maintaining brand guidelines
- Excellent communication skills
- Track record in leading and developing a design team
- Track record in nurturing and developing designers
- We benchmark salaries to make sure we are competitive. The salary range on offer is £50,000 - £70,000 p.a. (depending on experience).
- Holidays are important. We offer 33 days annual leave inclusive of bank holidays.
- Your birthday is on us too.
- We also provide additional day annual leave for every years' service with Phlo up to an additional 5 days annual leave.
- We think future financial health is important, and contribute 3% to your employee Auto-Enrolment Pension Scheme
- Discounts on restaurants, shopping and many others via a Perkbox membership.
- Chance to develop your own career path within a high-pace technology company.
- We want you to grow with us. You will have opportunities to develop your career in a high pace technology company.
- Casual dress code & great work culture
These are our current benefits and likely to grow and change from time to time.
We're headquartered in Glasgow, where this role is based, though we’re all working remotely at home due to Covid-19. You will be working fully remote until government guidelines state otherwise.
Once Covid rules have been relaxed, Phlo plans operates a hybrid working programme. Our HQ is in a co-working space in Glasgow and we’re flexible whether you work from here or remotely. If you work remotely, we will require that you come into the office as required by the business. A right to work in the UK is essential.
In this role you will be reporting to the Chief Executive Officer, working closely with the senior management team to ensure design is at the heart of our business.
To deliver great service to Phlo’s patients we need to build a company that’s reflective of their diversity. We’re building an inclusive workplace that promotes and values difference, where everyone, from any background, can do their best work and be proud to belong.
Please send a covering note explaining your approach to leading a design team coupled with your CV and links to any existing portfolios or previous work.
Please note interviews will be held on an ongoing basis until the role is filled.